Monday 4 August 2008

Celebrating Jamaica's Emancipation & Independence - London Style

Friday the 1st August was a holiday in Jamaica - then we celebrated the date when slavery was abolished back in 1834. On the 6th August we will celebrate the birth of our nation, Jamaica's Independence day. It will be the 46th anniversary of the date. A church service of praise and thanksgiving was held at the St. Martin-in-the-Field church, Trafalgar Square in the heart of London on Saturday August 2, 2008, which I had the pleasure of attending. It was a 'sold out' occasion whith the church which has a capacity to seat 825 having standing room only. We were priviledged to receive the Prime Minister's Independence message 4 days early, read by High Commissioner Burchell Whiteman. The sermon was excellent delivered by Reverend Jennifer Thomas, who was born in Jamaica. There were melodious songs from the London Seventh Day Adventist Male Voice Choir and the National Pledge said by children of the diaspora all bedecked in Bandana outfits. I also had the honour of showing my patriotism by being an usher/volunteer. I am so blessed to be a part of a warm country...I keep praying that the situation at home will improve... very soon.
Me with the JDF Cadets who were the flag bearers; they did an excellent job.High Commissioner and Mrs. Whiteman with the children of the Diaspora



On Sunday August 3, I also attended a Funday at Chrystal Palace which was in aid of the Jamiaca Basic School Foundation. It was also again a blessing to see so many people identifying with being Jamaican and I 'buck up' a few friends and family... I pray that this gives me some impetus to really get going on the dissertation that so far has been eluding me...again your earnest prayers are requested. Anneke, Adenekie and the Nigerian Chika...all attending LSE.The Cast of The Harder They Come - the musical was in attendance and performed .... I plan to go and see it before I go home in SeptemberMe, Gail and 'wiggle'...yes she in happily in the 'family way' The lovebirds Anneke and Andrew
Fate... I saw David Fraser and his brood. Aren't they tooo cute?Enjoying some cotton candy on the fair grounds


3 comments:

Anneke said...

It was so much fun just seeing so many Jamaicans in one place. But my gosh the food never had to be so expensive £2 for a festival!!! Not to mention £4.50 for some jerk pork. My gosh man. It was a wonderful feeling though.

Yes I saw Gail. Congrats!!

Carlito's Way said...

It was good to read this Carla. I realize how disconnected I am from Jamaica, even though I am closer than you. I just feel like there is too much work going on at any given moment for me to even take time off to take care of myself.

God be praised that you have seen it fit to be active in things social. I pray the very best for you, that you will achieve your objective. You have no problems when God is on your side...and He is on your side, sister!!!!

Ade Chim said...

Carla, Why yuh put up this picture of me with my eyes closed! Now I know you don't like me. LOL Well at least it wasnt the one with me putting food in my mouth!

It was a nice day though! It was good to see so many J'cans seriously representing in their colours!

Pity we only have a short time left in this country, but boy am I ready to head home!